Friday 26 August 2011

You are doing a great job....

...How about doing the same for us, for nothing! People don't actually say that, but that's what it all smacks of. A couple of years ago I and a few other women set up a mini local bike racing series to encourage more women to get into cycling. We had no idea how successful it would be, but fortunately it went well - better than expected. The series became well known in the cycling community and we had various sponsors wanting to get involved. More importantly many women were happy with their season and said that the series had really motivated them to go out and race. For me, at a personal level it was a real coup as I was able to prove to myself that I could successfully organise such a scheme, and associated events from nothing.

The problem I am having now is that everyone is automatically asking me to do various things for women's cycling. Last autumn I coordinated 3 London women's cycling teams for a national cyclocross competition.  It was a good day out and we even got silverware. The cyclocross coordinator declared in his annual report that I would be the women's coordinator the following year. Not only had he not bothered to ask me if I would be able to do the job, he actually wrote in the report that although he had not asked me about doing the role he was sure I wouldn't mind being volunteered into the role. What a cheek!

I have since had even more people writing to me asking me to promote their event through my "networks."
As for the series people automatically think that it will continue on like last year. Women are emailing me asking about their prizes, complaining that their ranking being wrong etc., and expecting things to be sorted out at the drop of a hat. The thing is I am not paid to do this and folks are suddenly asking me to do stuff as though it were my main function in life!! It wouldn't be so bad if I were being paid!

The latest now is a branding consultant who wants to hook up with this women's series as a way of promoting the brand she represents as being commited to women's cycling. It's great when a company wants to provide prizes but why on earth should I do their work for them?  Why should they be telling us what types of activities and initiatives we could be doing? It's all very well that this is her day job she has been retained to the clothing company as their branding consultant. However, I am a volunteer - doing this in between juggling with my day job amongst many other things.

People need to realise that that even the most simple activities done in aid of this women's series are time consuming. For example, for women to get their prizes it involves me emailing/phoning sponsors, travelling across London to pick up the prizes and spending time in discussions and presenting the league. I have even turned up at races that I am was not capable of racing in. I was there simply because I had a responsibility to get the series to work. I could have been home doing other things, notably writing articles for which I get paid!

People should not assume that this series runs effortlessly and they should think before they ask people to do such and such activity - especially when the person is not being paid. The thing that galls me the most is that I was out of work earlier this year and armed with my organisational skills as well as marketing experience and qualifications I applied for a few jobs around developing women's cycling. One job was actually with British Cycling. I didn't even get called in for an interview! So people are very happy for me to do the work I do in women's cycling. They tell me what a great job I'm doing, how amazing it is that I made something successful, even how inspirational I have been. But they have no intention of paying me to do the work. 

Even worse was that last week at one of the local races, women were asked to marshal and help out at the event. It is customary for local riders to be encouraged to put something back into cyclesport by helping out once a year at least at a cycle race. Lots of women turned out at the event - to race. Many girls were not willing to marshal and gave various reasons as to why they had to race. It was very disappointing to see how few women were willing to give up just one race in the year to marshal at the race. We were short of marshals and we ended up asking a few men to help out. Some of the female regulars just didn't show up at all, probably to avoid having to marshal! Nevertheless these same people are still expecting to come to a gala presentation where they show off their racing prowess pictured with their trophies in the photo opportunities. They won't care to know how much work has gone into organising the event and ensuring that they have their prizes and ready for their moment of "glory" - work that has been done by unpaid volunteers. Well the news is that I will not be doing the gala dinner. People don't deserve my time. If they can't even turn up one evening per year to help out at an event why should I be working unpaid for them week in week out all season. No way. Now let them go and complain that no one does anything for women's racing. Sorry, but I am no skivvy!

No comments:

Post a Comment